This is something that people love to imagine, that these two icons of British culture could have had a relationship, and in this episode we look at Shakespeare's royal patronage, performances at court and whether or not anyone could really have had a relationship with a monarch at all.
Image: Ye Bard - hys Birth... ye immortal bard cometh to town - ergo, he is Born in ye merrie town of Stratford, A. D. 1564, c1850, by unknown author
This weeks guests are:
- Professor Michael Dobson, Director of the Shakespeare Institute
- Dr Elizabeth Dollimore, Outreach and Primary Learning Manager at the SBT
- Professor Stanley Wells, Honorary President of the SBT
- Dr Anjna Chouhan, Lecturer in Shakespeare Studies at the SBT
- Ben Crystal, Actor, Director and producer.
Related posts on our Finding Shakespeare blog:
- Searching for Elizabeth in the Collection
- Royal Signatures: Queens Elizabeth
- Intern Diaries: Cult and Coronation
- “Entire delight unto all senses”: a foretaste of summer from the Laneham Letter, one of our rarest (and smallest!) books