To answer this question we must look at three different periods in his life: his youth, his life in London, and his married/family life. In this episode I talk to our guests about the different properties we know Shakespeare lived in, which ones he owned and when he bought them, and we also look at what life would have been like living in these very different properties, both for Shakespeare and his housemates.
Image: Shakespeare's Birthplace before restoration, 1769.
This week's guests are:
- Professor Sir Stanley Wells, Honorary President of the SBT
- Professor Michael Dobson, Director of the Shakespeare Institute
- Dr Elizabeth Dollimore, Outreach and Primary Learning Manager at the SBT
- Dr Tara Hamling, Senior Lecturer in Early Modern history at Birmingham University
- Dr Paul Edmondson, Head of Research and Knowledge at the SBT
Narrator: Jennifer Reid
Transcripts are forthcoming.