At the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust we are constantly reviewing our security measures to ensure that they are effective, and visitors are assured of a safe and welcoming visit to our historic sites.
We conduct visitor and bag checks at all five Shakespeare family homes and at the Shakespeare Centre. To keep everyone safe and to protect our historic sites and collections, we make it a condition of entry that you and your belongings may be searched.
What you can do to help
- We encourage you to arrive as early as possible, to allow more time for security checks
- For security reasons, please do not bring luggage or large bags such as rucksacks and wheeled luggage to our properties (bigger than 40cm x 40cm x 50cm and heavier than 5kg)
- Please do not leave your bags or personal items unattended at any point during your visit. They will be removed and may be destroyed by the security team
- Offensive weapons, sharp objects including pen knives, dangerous chemicals, and other suspicious items are not allowed anywhere in our properties and will be removed before entry is granted. Any items considered to be illegal will be confiscated and reported to the police
- You have an important role to play in helping us look after all our visitors by reporting anything that doesn’t feel right, for example any unattended items or someone acting suspiciously. You can report anything suspicious to any of our staff members
These precautions are designed to safeguard everyone during their time with us. We really appreciate your cooperation and your understanding.
Last updated March 2020