Acceptable Use Policy
The terms between you and us under which you may access our website
This acceptable use policy sets out the terms between you and us under which you may access our website www.shakespeare.org.uk (our site). This acceptable use policy applies to all users of, and visitors to, our site.
www.shakespeare.org.uk is a site operated by the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust (we or us), a registered charity with number 209302 and a principal place of business at Shakespeare Centre, Henley Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire CV37 6QW. Our VAT number is GB670323163.
1. Prohibited uses
1.1 You may use our site only for lawful purposes. You may not use our site:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or
international law or regulation.
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or
fraudulent purpose or effect.
- For the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any
material which does not comply with our content standards in clause 3 below.
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised
advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation
- To knowingly transmit any data, send, upload or otherwise
introduce any material that contains viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or
other material which is malicious or technologically harmful or designed to
adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware or database
connected to our site.
1.2 You also agree:
Not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- any part of our site;
- any equipment or network on which our site is stored;
- any software used in the provision of our site; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third
2. Interactive services
2.1 We may from time to time provide interactive services on our site, including, without limitation:
- Chat rooms.
- Internet forum.
2.2 Where we do provide any interactive service, we will provide clear information to you about the kind of service offered, if it is moderated and what form of moderation is used (including whether it is human or automated).
2.3 We will do our best to assess any possible risks for users (and in particular, for children) from third parties when they use any interactive service provided on our site. We will decide in each case whether it is appropriate to use moderation of the relevant service (including what kind of moderation to use) in the light of those risks. However, we are under no obligation to oversee, monitor or moderate any interactive service we provide on our site, and we expressly exclude our liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of any interactive service by a user in contravention of our content standards, whether the service is moderated or not.
2.4 If you are under 18 please seek the consent of your parent or guardian before using our site. We advise parents who permit their children to use an interactive service that it is important that they communicate with their children about their safety online, as moderation is not foolproof. Minors who are using any interactive service should be made aware of the potential risks to them.
2.5 Where we do moderate an interactive service, we will normally provide you with a means of contacting the moderator, should a concern or difficulty arise.
3. Content standards
3.1 These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
3.2 You must comply with the spirit and the letter of the following standards. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
3.3 Contributions must:
- Be accurate (where they state facts).
- Be genuinely held (where they state opinions).
- Comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which
they are posted.
3.4 Contributions must not:
- Contain any material which is defamatory of any person.
- Contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or
- Promote sexually explicit material.
- Promote violence.
- Promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality,
disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other
- Be likely to deceive any person.
- Be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as
a contractual duty or a duty of confidence.
- Promote any illegal activity.
- Be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause
annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety.
- Be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other
- Be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your
identity or affiliation with any person.
- Give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the
- Advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
4. Suspension and termination
4.1 We will determine, in our discretion, whether there has been a breach of this acceptable use policy through your use of our site. When a breach of this policy has occurred, we may take such action as we deem appropriate.
- Immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use
- Immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any posting or
material uploaded by you to our site.
- Issue of a warning to you.
- Legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all losses and costs
on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative
and legal costs) resulting from the breach.
- Further legal action against you.
- Disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as
we reasonably feel is necessary.
4.3 We exclude liability for actions taken in response to breaches of this acceptable use policy. The responses described in this policy are not limited, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
5. Changes to the acceptable use policy
We may revise this acceptable use policy at any time by amending this page. You are expected to check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we make, as they are legally binding on you. Some of the provisions contained in this acceptable use policy may also be superseded by provisions or notices published elsewhere on our site.
Last updated: May 2016