- 14 slices of crumbed, stale brown bread, crusts removed
- 1 small jar of clear honey (about 300g)
- ¼ tsp of black pepper
- ½ tsp of ground ginger
- ½ tsp of ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp of ground star anise
1. Very gently warm honey in a small saucepan with the spices. Heat until it is free flowing but not boiling.
2. In a mixing bowl put half the breadcrumbs. Add the honey, mix and start to fold in. Keep adding breadcrumbs until the mix will not absorb anymore.
3. Press firmly into an 8 inch loose bottom cake tin and leave for 24 hours at room temperature.
4. Turn out and decorate with crystallized ginger (optional).