International Shakespeare Association
The International Shakespeare Association (ISA)
The International Shakespeare Association (ISA) offers an opportunity for individuals and institutions to join together to further the knowledge of Shakespeare throughout the world. Its central commitments, outlined in its constitution, are to;
- link the work of various Shakespeare associations and societies
- advise on the foundation and development of new associations
- advise on the initiation and planning of the World Shakespeare Congresses
- support an information centre, covering research, publication, translation, and performance
- circulate a diary of future performances, conferences and graduate courses
- aid travel in the interests of Shakespeare scholarship and performance
- coordinate and support requests for finance from internationally cooperative projects
World Shakespeare Congress
The ISA has been involved in the organisation of nine Shakespeare congresses since its foundation in 1974: in Washington DC (1976), Stratford-upon-Avon (1981), Berlin (1986), Tokyo (1991); Los Angeles (1996); Valencia (2001); Brisbane (2006) and Prague (2011). The Tenth World Shakespeare Congress will be held in Stratford-upon-Avon/London, United Kingdom in 2016. Further information on this Congress including dates will be posted in due course.
Participation in the World Shakespeare Congress is open to anyone with a genuine interest in Shakespeare who is a member of the ISA. As well as a programme of seminars, the Congress will offer plenary papers by speakers from a wide range of countries, backgrounds and interests, from academic professionals to those who have engaged with Shakespeare from literary or theatrical viewpoints.
Please click to download The Selected Proceedings of the International Shakespeare Association World Congress, Brisbane, 2006 - Purchase Information
Membership of the International Shakespeare Association is open to any person who wishes to support its objectives and accepts its articles. Members receive copies of the annual newsletter, occasional papers as they are published, and may purchase the World Congress proceedings at a special rate.
To apply for membership or to renew existing membership please download, complete and return an ISA Membership Form.
For more information about the ISA's activities and membership please contact:
Dr Nick Walton, Executive Secretary and Treasurer
The Shakespeare Centre
Warwickshire CV37 6QW
Telephone: +44 (01789) 201847
Fax: +44 (0)1789 296083